Abu Dhabi, 11 February 2019: The Sheikh Zayed Book Award (SZBA) has revealed the shortlisted titles in the ‘Young Author’ and ‘Children’s Literature’ categories for the 13th edition of the Award.
The Young Author shortlist consists of three titles chosen from 12 longlisted books, while the Children’s Literature shortlist
consists of three works selected from 10 longlisted titles.
The shortlist for the Young Author category comprises:
- Hamam Al Dar (The Dove of the House) by Kuwaiti writer Saud Alsanousi, published by Arab Scientific Publishers – Difaf Publishing (2017).
- Al Ma’rifa Wal Sulta (Knowledge and Power: Approaching the Worlds of Michel Foucault) by Moroccan scholar Omar Al Tawer, published by Editions Approaches (2018).
- Rouh Al Qiyam Wa Houriyat Al Mafaheem (The Essence of Values and the Freedom of Social Concepts) by Algerian scholar Dr. Abderrezak Belagrouz, published by The Arabian Establishment for Thought and Innovation (2017).
The shortlist for the Children’s Literature category comprises:
- ‘Ana Lastu Anta’ (I Am Not You) by Syrian author Jekar Khourchid, published by AlHadaek Group in 2018.
- ‘Ahlam An Akoun Khalat Asmant’ (I Dream of Being a Concrete Mixer) by Kuwaiti author Hussain Almutawaa, published by AlHadaek Group in 2018.
- ‘Ayn Minqari?’ (Where is My Beak?) by Jordanian author and illustrator Yara Bamieh, published by Palestine Writing Workshop in 2018.
The Young Author category has received 365 nominations this year, while the Children’s Literature category received 168 nominations. The longlists for both categories were announced last December. Further announcements on shortlisted titles for the remaining categories of the SZBA 2019 will be made in the coming weeks.