Books to be received by October 1st, 2018 by latest
Abu Dhabi, September 4th, 2018 – The Sheikh Zayed Book Award has urged applicants to make sure to send in their entries for its 13th edition latest by October 1st, across the Award’s nine categories, which include ‘Contribution to the Development of Nations’, ‘Children’s Literature’, ‘Young Author’, ‘Translation’, ‘Literature’, ‘Literary and Art Criticism’, ‘Arab Culture in Other Languages’, ‘Technology and Publishing’ and ‘Personality of the Year’.
Dr. Ali Bin Tamim, Secretary General of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award, said: “In line with our continuous efforts to improve and upgrade the Award’s processes and systems, we have launched a new online nominations portal to ease the application process for all applicants. And I would like to take this opportunity to encourage all cultural and literary entities, both individuals and organisations, to make use of the remaining few days until the deadline to send their nominations to be considered for the 13th edition.”
The nominations’ eligibility as per the award’s regulations state that applicants must apply online – through a newly developed nomination system. Following the online submission, applicants should send five copies of the book to the Award Office listed on the Award’s website. Books may be nominated by individuals, including self-nomination by authors, translators and by publishing houses, and no book may be submitted for consideration in more than one category. Books should also have been published in the last two years of submission. Some categories are treated differently, and more information is available on zayedaward.ae.
In most of the Award categories, nominated titles should be written in Arabic, however the award’s inclusive vision encourages nominations in all other languages as well, through two categories; ‘Translation’ and ‘Arab Culture in Other Languages’.
All nominations must be received by October 1st, 2018
Notes of the Editor
The award recognizes cultural achievement across one of the broadest and most diverse areas of any cultural awards internationally, including:
- Contribution to the Development of Nations
Consists of books in the fields of economics, sociology and law which contribute to a nation’s advancement, whether the study is a theoretic review or documentation of practice.
- Children’s Literature [including adolescents books]
Covers literary, scientific and cultural books addressing various children’s groups and adolescents, whether it is fictional stories or simplified factual historical and scientific narratives, put in an artistic layout.
- Young Author
Recognizes works in science, literature, culture, fine arts and humanities, in addition to scientific theses that are published, produced by authors younger than 40 years
Recognizes translated works, either to or from Arabic, provided it maintains loyalty to original source, linguistic accuracy, and maintaining the context.
Represents works across various categories of literature including poetry, short stories, novels, biographies, theatrical plays and other types of arts
- Literary and Art Criticism
Covers works of criticism in the fields of art, cinema, music, theatrical plays, studies of image, architecture, sculpture, historical ruins, folkloric arts, and history of literature and theories.
- Arabic Culture in Other Languages
Recognizes written works produced in languages other than the Arabic, tackling Arab civilization and culture, including humanities, fine arts, literature (novels, shorts stories, poems) and history.
- Publishing and Technology
Includes publishers, distributors, research institutions and cultural institutions, which promote culture through various forms of digital, visual and audio processes.
- Cultural Personality of the Year (Open to individuals and organizations)
Honors a prominent Arab or international figure (or organization) who has contributed to the advancement of the Arabic culture, embodies through his/her work tolerance and promotes peaceful coexistence.
Selection and Judging Process
- The award is supervised by a Board of Trustees and a Scientific Committee that manage a rigorous award selection process
- Every year, the Scientific Committee appoints a group of distinguished regional and international literary figures [judges] who serve on nine separate selection committees, one for each award category.
- There are 3 – 5 selection committee members [judges] per category, each of whom remain anonymous to maintain the independence and integrity of the selection process
- Each committee reviews all nominated works and submits its selections to the Scientific Committee.
- The winners are announced ahead of the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, culminating in a prestigious tribute ceremony on during April 2019.