Abu Dhabi December 21, 2017– The Sheikh Zayed Book Award (SZBA) today announced the “Translation Category” long list for its twelfth edition, consisting of 10 works from the 74 nominations received in the category since last May. The 74 titles included translations from English, French and German and were received from 19 Arab countries including Egypt, Tunisia, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and Morocco.
Out of the titles in English, the long list includes two works published by Dar Al-Tanweer, Beirut; namely:
- ‘’al-nizam ‘al-siyasi fi mujtama’at mutaghayyirah’ (Political Order in Changing Societies) by Samuel P. Huntington and translated by Egyptian academic Hussam Nayel, published in 2017;
- ‘al-kawn ‘al-aneeq’ (The Elegant Universe) by Brian Greene, and translated by Mohammad Fathi Khadr from Egypt, published in 2017;
In addition to the following translations from English;
- ‘’al-tahawol ‘al-electrony: tarseekh ‘istratijyyat ‘al-tanmiya ‘al-hadeetha’ (E-Transformation: Enabling New Development Strategies) by Nagy Hanna and translated by Dr. ‘Ajlan Bin Mohammad ‘Al-Shihri from Saudi Arabia, published by Institute of Public Administration, Riyadh, 2016
- ‘’al-thawra ‘al-rabi’a: kayf yo’eed ‘al-ghilaf ‘al-ma’lomati tashkeel ‘al-waqe’ ‘al-‘insani’ (The Fourth Revolution: How the Infosphere is Reshaping Human Reality) by Luciano Floridi and translated by Lo’ay Abdul-Majid Al Sayyed from Egypt, published by National Council for Culture, Arts & Literature, Kuwait, 2017
- ‘qissat ‘al-fann’ (The Story of Art), By Ernst Gombrich and translated by ‘Arif Hadeeqa form Syria, published by Bahrain Authority for Culture & Antiquities, 2016
- ‘’al-qahira muntasaf ‘al-qarn ‘al-tase’ ‘ashar’ (Cairo: Fifty Years Ago (1896)) by Edward William Lane and translated by Ahmad Salem Salem from Egypt, published by Al Dar Al Masriah Al Lubnaniah, Cairo, 2017
As for the translations from French, the list named three titles as follows;
- ‘tareekh ‘al-‘oloum wa falsafatuha’ (Histoire et philosophie des sciences) by Thomas Lepeltier and translated by Dr. Mohammad Ahmad Tijjo from Syria, published by Arabic Magazine, Riyadh, 2017
- ‘limatha natafalsaf?’ (Pourquoi Philosopher?) by Jean-François Lyotard and translated by Yousef Al Suheili from Tunisia, published by Dar al-Tanweer, Tunisia, 2017
- ‘’al-kitaba wal shafawiyya fi bidayat ‘al-‘islam’ (Ecrire et transmettre dans les débuts de l’Islam), By Gregor Schoeler and translated by Rasheed Bazi form Morocco, published by Cultural Book Center, Beirut/Casablanca 2016
In addition, the list named one work translated to Arabic from German entitled ‘natharayya ‘astiteeqyya’ (Ästhetische Theorie), by Theodor W. Adorno and translated by Naji Al ‘Awnali form Tunisia, published by Al-Jamal Publications, Beirut 2017
In the past few weeks, the Award announced its long lists in the ‘Literature’, ‘Young Author”, ‘Critical Studies’, Development of Nations’, and ‘Children’s Literature’ categories.