Abu Dhabi November 7, 2017– The Sheikh Zayed Book Award (SZBA) today announced its Literature Category long list for its twelfth edition, consisting of 13 titles out of the 337 nominations which were received in the category since last May. The 337 nominations came mostly from Egypt, Syria, Morocco, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
Out of the 13 contending titles, the long list includes two works published by Al Dar Al Masriah Al Lubnaniah, Cairo;
- ‘khareef al- balad al-kabeer’ (The Autumn of The Big City) by Egyptian author Mahmoud al- Werwary, published in 2017;
- ‘yakfi annana ma’an’ (At Least We are Together) by Egyptian writer Ezzat el-kamhawi, published in 2017;
In addition, the list features two more titles published by Nofal- Hachette Antoine, Beirut;
- ‘Ikhtibar al-nadam’ (Remorse Test) by Syrian novelist Khalil Sweileh (2017)
- ‘al -shaytan yoheb ahyanan’ (The Devil May Love Sometimes) by Saudi author Zainab Hifni, published in 2017.
Furthermore, two more titles on the list are published by Dar Al Saqi, Beirut;
- ‘fi ‘ithr ghaymah’ (Tracing a Cloud) by Lebanese author Hassan Dawood, published in 2017.
- ‘al badawi al-sagheer’ (The Young Bedouin) by Saudi novelist Maqbul al- Alawi, published in 2016.
And the remaining titles are as follows;
- ‘metro halab’ (Aleppo Metro) by Syrian/French novelist Maha Hasan, published by dar al- Tanweer, Beirut, 2016.
- ‘’’anaqeed al-ratheelah’ (Grapes of Vice) by Mauritanian novelist Ahmad Hafid, published by Arab Scientific Publishers Inc., Beirut, 2016.
- The literary biography ‘bah’than ‘an al-sa’adah’ (In Pursuit of Happiness), By Tunisian author Hassouna Mosbahi, published by Editions Arabesques, Tunisia, 2017
- ‘fi souq al -sabaya’ (In the Market of Captive Women) by Iraqi/American novelist Dunya Mikhail, published by Almutawassit Books, Italy, 2017
- ‘al- shahed al- mash’houd’ (The Witnessed Witness) by Jordanian novelist Walid Saif, published by Al Ahliah Publications, Jordan, 2016
- ‘rehlat al-damm’ (The Blood Journey) by Egyptian author Ibrahim Eissa, published by Dar Al Karma, Cairo, 2016
- ‘Jano, ante hekayati’ (Jano, You are My Story) by Iraqi novelist Maysaloon Hadi, published by Dar Alhikma, London, 2017
Last week marked the conclusion of the Award’s reading panels work. The panels reviewed a total of 1,250 nominations across all categories, with the Literature and Young Author categories leading for the fifth year in a row with the highest number of participations; 337 and 307 respectively. Further announcements on longlisted titles in the rest of categories will be made in the coming few weeks.
Notes to the Editor
The foundation of the Award was laid out in memory of the late Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, ruler of Abu Dhabi and President of UAE for more than 30 years, and his pioneering role in national unity and the country’s development. It is presented every year to outstanding writers, intellectuals, publishers as well as young talents whose writings and translations of humanities have scholarly and objectively enriched Arab cultural, literary and social life.
The Sheikh Zayed Book award is an independent cultural award administered by Abu Dhabi Tourism and Culture Authority, with a total monetary value of AED seven million dirhams.
- Honor intellectuals, researchers, and writers, who have made significant contributions in literature, social sciences and the culture and knowledge of modern age
- Honor prominent figures who have outstanding achievements at a regional and international level, and informing readers about them in the context of creativity and innovative thought
- Appreciate the immense cultural role of translators who enrich culture, promote dialogue between civilizations, and bring nations together.
- Encourage creativity of youth, and motivate them to research, and create a spirit of positive competition in this vital sector that represents the nation’s present and future.
- Honor institutions, research centers, Arab and international publishing houses that represent an inventive cultural project that caters for creativity, and promote the human values of dialogue and tolerance.
- Encourage children and adolescent’s literature, which seeks to develop this important segment of society, and their aesthetic taste, and constructs their cultural identity on the foundation of creative interaction between the past and present.
The award recognizes cultural achievement across one of the broadest and most diverse areas of any cultural awards internationally, including:
- Contribution to the Development of Nations
Consists of books in the fields of economics, sociology and law which contribute to a nation’s advancement, whether the study is a theoretic review or documentation of practice.
- Children’s Literature [including adolescents books]
Covers literary, scientific and cultural books addressing various children’s groups and adolescents, whether it is fictional stories or simplified factual historical and scientific narratives, put in an artistic layout.
- Young Author
Recognizes works in science, literature, culture, fine arts and humanities, in addition to scientific theses that are published, produced by authors younger than 40 years
Recognizes translated works, either to or from Arabic, provided it maintains loyalty to original source, linguistic accuracy, and maintaining the context.
Represents works across various categories of literature including poetry, short stories, novels, biographies, theatrical plays and other types of arts
- Literary and Art Criticism
Covers works of criticism in the fields of art, cinema, music, theatrical plays, studies of image, architecture, sculpture, historical ruins, folkloric arts, and history of literature and theories.
- Arabic Culture in Other Languages
Recognizes written works produced in languages other than the Arabic, tackling Arab civilization and culture, including humanities, fine arts, literature (novels, shorts stories, poems) and history.
- Publishing and Technology
Includes publishers, distributors, research institutions and cultural institutions, which promote culture through various forms of digital, visual and audio processes.
- Cultural Personality of the Year (Open to individuals and organizations)
Honors a prominent Arab or international figure (or organization) who has contributed to the advancement of the Arabic culture, embodies through his/her work tolerance and promotes peaceful coexistence.