Abu Dhabi, March 2, 2017 – The Sheikh Zayed Book Award announced today the works shortlisted in its “Translation” and “Literary& Arts Criticism” Categories.
The frontrunners in “Translation” include three scholarly studies, two of which construed to Arabic from original works in English and German, and one study translated from Arabic to French, as follows:
- ‘Justice, Punishment and the Medieval Muslim Imagination’ authored by Christian Lange and translated from English to Arabic by Tunisian translator Riadh Miladi (Dar Al Madar Al Islami, Lebanon 2016)
- ‘Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft’ (Economy and Society) authored by Max Weber in German and translated to Arabic by Mohamed Turki from Tunisia (Arab Organization for Translation, Lebanon 2015)
- ‘Averroès: Le Philosophe Et La Loi’ translated from Arabic to French by Lebanese/ French national Ziad Bou Akl (De Gruyter, Berlin, 2015)
As for titles under “Literary& Arts Criticism”, three works are named;
- ‘Khitabul akhlaq wal hawiyya fi rasa’el al Jahez (moral and identity discourse in al jahiz) by Mohammad Mishbal from Morocco (Dar Konoz Al Ma’rifah (2015))
- ‘Afaq Alnazariyya al Adabiyya’ (the prospects of literary theory) by Saudi Author Saleh Zayyad (Dar al Tanweer (2016))
- ‘Faa’liat Alkhial Ala’dbi’ (the Validity of Literary Fiction) by the Iraqi/Australian scholar Said Al Ghanimi (Al Kamel Verlag (2015))
The announcement follows the same announcement made last week on the final contenders in “literature” and “Children’s Literature” categories; the rest of short-lists are scheduled for announcement over the coming weeks, paving the way to announcing the winners and the Award’s Grand Ceremony, celebrating the winning achievements, coinciding with Abu Dhabi International Book Fair.