Abu Dhabi, 26 April 2016 – The grand ceremony to present the 10th Sheikh Zayed Book Awards will take place next Sunday May 1st 2016, under the patronage of HH Sheikh Mohammed Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, during the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair, at Abu Dhabi National Exhibition Centre, Abu Dhabi. The event will join key intellectual and literary figures and witness granting seven prizes, namely: Contribution to the Development of Nations Award; Literature Award; Literary and Arts Criticism Award; Translation Award; Arabic Culture in Other languages Award; Publishing and Technology Award; and Cultural Personality of the Year Award.
Commenting on the occasion, Dr. Ali Bin Tamim, Secretary General of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award, noted: “the Sheikh Zayed Book Award takes pride not only in the comprehensive array of awards it offers, but also in its flexibility in developing strategic approaches and processes to match the ever-changing cultural scene, gaining a reputable name for its transparency and objectivity and placing it among the league of globally renowned cultural prizes”.
Dr Ali bin Tamim added that the Award will be hosting a seminar with all its winners for the tenth session on Thursday 28th April from 5:00 to 6:00 PM at the Discussion Forum, parallel to the Abu Dhabi international Book Fair proceedings.
Previously this month, the Award announced the winners of Sheikh Zayed Book Award’s tenth cycle;
- Cultural Personality of the Year Award went to Lebanese-born French Novelist Amin Maalouf
- Contribution to the Development of Nations Award went to Al-Sarab (The Mirage) by Dr Jamal Sanad Al-Suwaidi from UAE, published by The Emirates Centre for Strategic Studies and Research, 2015.
- The Literature Award went to Ma Wara’a al-Kitaba (Beyond Writing) by Egyptian novelist Ibrahim Abdelmeguid, published in 2014 by Al-Dar Al-Masriyah Al-Lubnaniyah, Cairo.
- The Literary and Art Criticism Award went to Al-Fikr al-Adabi al-‘Arabi (Arabic Literary Thought) by the Moroccan Prof. Said Yaktine, published in 2014 by Difaf Publishing, Beirut.
- The Translation Award went to the translation by the Iraqi Dr Keyan Yahya of The Meaning of Meaning by Ogden and Richards. The translation was published in 2015 by Dar al-Kitab al-Jadeed, Beirut.
- The Arab Culture in Other Languages Award went to ‘Angles et Grandeur’ by Egyptian author Professor Roshdi Rashed, published in 2015 by the Walter De Gruyter, Berlin.
- The Publishing and Technology Award went to Dar Al-Saqi, Lebanon.