2009 book award winners announced next February
The Higher Committee for Sheikh Zayed Book Award met yesterday at the award premises in the presence of his Excellency Sheikh Sultan Bin Tahnoon Al Nahyan, Chairman of the Committee, Dr. Zaki Nuseibeh, Mohammed Kahlaf Al Mazrouei in additiong to the award secretary general Rashed Al Oraimi.
The Committee reviewed future plans in light of the positive results sought since the beginning of this year manifested in attracting entries from thinkers across the globe, transcending the borders of Arab states to reach international writers who have contributed to the enrichment of Arab culture.
The main activities discussed during the high-profile meeting were the book salons and seminars to be conducted in world capitals such as London, New York, Paris and Frankfurt as well as an ongoing networking with universities and institutes to promote the award’s objectives in the most important cultural forums.
As for the announcement plan of the Sheikh Zayed Book Award winners for the 2009 session, Rashed Al Oraimi the secretary General said “ the selection and judging process is in process until mid January after which the winners will be announced beginning of next March during the Abu Dhabi International Book Fair (17-22 March).
Notes to the Editor
About the Sheikh Zayed Book Award
– The Sheikh Zayed Book Award is an independent cultural award established under the patronage and support of the Abu Dhabi Authority for Culture and Heritage
– The award is now in its third session
– The award was established in memory of Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan, who served as the ruler of Abu Dhabi and president of the UAE for more than 30 years
– The Sheikh Zayed Book Award seeks to foster greater scholarship and creativity by recognising and rewarding significant cultural achievements to Arabic culture
– The Sheikh Zayed Book Award rewards innovators and thinkers in areas of knowledge, arts and humanities. Winners are identified through stringent scientific and objective principles to evaluate the merits of their creative work
– The award has nine diverse categories
– The award comprises a total monetary prize value of seven million UAE dirhams (€1,282,868). Each prize consists of a gold medal bearing the Sheikh Zayed Book Award logo, a certificate of merit and a cash reward
– The Cultural Personality of the Year winner receives a prize of one million UAE dirhams (€191,382) while the winners of the other categories receive 750,000 dirhams (€143,780)
– In 2008, the Sheikh Zayed Book Award exhibited at the London Book Fair and Book Expo America in Los Angeles, with further plans to participate in other international book fairs throughout the year
– Nominations for the third session are open until 15 October 2008
About the nine categories
? The award recognises cultural achievement across one of the broadest and most diverse areas of any cultural awards internationally, including:
Represents works across various categories of literature including poetry, stories, novels and plays, creative writings or works of criticism
2. Children’s Literature
Covers literary and cultural works addressing various children’s’ groups
3. Publication and Distribution
Includes publishers, distributors and research institutions which produce a diverse range of texts printed to the highest standard
4. Contribution to technology in the field of culture
Recognises written or digital works which have promoted the Arabic language throughout the Arab world
5. Fine Arts
Covers books about various forms of art such as music, cinema, architecture, plastic art, calligraphy, photography and digital arts
Includes translated works, either to or from Arabic
7. Contribution to the development of the country
Consists of works in the fields of economics, sociology, politics, law and theology that have contributed to the country’s advancement
8. Young Author
Recognises scientific, literary or cultural works produced by authors younger than 40 years